This position has now closed. It remains online for reference only.
Travel (London Zones 1-6 only) and Lunch expenses only
Length of Contract: 3 months (with opportunity for extension)
Closing Date: 11 April 2012
The Patients Association is looking for an individual interested in a career in the charity sector to assist in the daily activities of a busy national healthcare charity. In particular you will be assisting our Chief Executive, joining her at meetings to take notes and supporting her work in a personal assistant role.
The internship will provide the candidate with a thorough understanding of the healthcare system, experience of a busy and challenging working environment and valuable knowledge of the charity sector. Candidates can expect to gain experience in or exposure to healthcare issues, public affairs, media relations and research and campaigning techniques. The role also provides an excellent opportunity to increase your skills in a range of highly valuable administrative, research and communication practices.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with the capacity to undertake a wide variety of tasks. The successful candidate will have the initiative to work independently as well as functioning as part of our busy team.
Main responsibilities of the role will include (but are not limited to):
- Providing administrative support to the Chief Executive
- Providing administrative support to the Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Joining the Chief Executive at meetings to take notes as required
- Assisting in the management of the Chief Executive's diary
- Assisting in event management
- Coordinating the production of briefing information for the Chief Executive
- Dealing with any telephone and email enquiries
- General office duties
- Providing support for other team-members as required
- Other duties as required by the Chief Executive
The successful candidate will have an interest in the work of the organisation and be enthusiastic to increase their knowledge of working in healthcare policy and the charity sector.
We are looking for an individual with:
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure with attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills and a willingness to work as part of a team
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work on their own initiative
- Excellent telephone manner
- The desire to acquire new skills
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and other commonly used software
Interviews will take in the week commencing 16 April with start date as soon as possible thereafter.
To apply please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com with subject line “Intern (Diary and Events Management)” or write to Intern (Diary and Events Management) Vacancy, Patients Association, PO Box 935, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 3YJ.
For questions please call the Patients Association on 020 8423 9111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.