Travel (London Zones 1-6 only) and Lunch expenses only
Length of Contract: 3 months (with opportunity for extension)
Closing Date: 25 May 2012
The Patients Association is looking for an individual interested in a career in public affairs, social policy and healthcare to assist in the daily activities of a busy national healthcare charity. As part of a fast-growing and energetic organisation you will support our staff in upcoming campaigns and research as well as providing high quality administrative support for the Chief Executive.
The internship will provide the candidate with a thorough understanding of the healthcare system, experience of a busy and challenging working environment and valuable knowledge of the charity sector. Candidates can expect to gain experience in or exposure to healthcare issues, public affairs, media relations and research and campaigning techniques. The role also provides an excellent opportunity to increase your skills in a range of highly valuable administrative, research and communication practices.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with the capacity to undertake a wide variety of tasks. The successful candidate will have the initiative to work independently as well as functioning as part of our busy team.
Main responsibilities of the role will include (but are not limited to):
• Joining the Chief Executive at meetings to take notes as required
• Assisting in the management of the Chief Executive's diary
• Assisting with research and scoping
• Providing project and campaign support to team-members
• General office duties
• Maintenance of membership and office databases and updating web site
• Dealing with incoming media enquiries
• Media monitoring of local and national healthcare news
• Managing correspondence
• Dealing with enquiries from the public
• Providing administrative support to the Chief Executive
• Social media editing and support
• Assisting in event management
• Coordinating the production of briefing information for the Chief Executive
• Dealing with any telephone and email enquiries
• General office duties
• Other duties as required by the Chief Executive
The successful candidate will have an interest in the work of the organisation and be enthusiastic to increase their knowledge of healthcare policy.
We are looking for an individual with:
• Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure with attention to detail
• Good interpersonal skills and a willingness to work as part of a team
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• The ability to work on their own initiative
• Excellent telephone manner
• The desire to acquire new skills
• Strong computer skills including familiarity with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and other commonly used software
Interviews will take in the week commencing 28 May with start date as soon as possible thereafter.
To apply please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Intern (Policy and Campaigns)” or write to Intern (Policy and Campaigns) Vacancy, Patients Association, PO Box 935, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 3YJ.
For questions please call the Patients Association on 020 8423 9111 or email email@example.com